Experiential & Outdoor Learning
the idea of extending the borders of the traditional classroom is deeply entrenched at baylor. from a class lesson at our on-campus solar farm to walkabout's lessons of the great outdoors, baylor's experiential opportunities are an important part of our overall academic program.
Some examples include:
- Baylor maintains academic relationships with dozens of Chattanooga organizations. Examples include an aquatic summer camp with the Tennessee Aquarium, funded by the National Science Foundation.
- Science classes take advantage of an organic garden and solar farm located on campus.
- The nearby Williams Island (a short boat trip from campus) offers hands-on learning in archaeology, ornithology, and environmental science.
- Our global classroom includes art trips to Europe, Walkabout trips to India and Panama, and service trips to Jamaica.
- A community service effort originated in 1979 is one of the few in the country to offer a grant-writing course through which students obtain funding for special programs for the children they tutor throughout the city.
- Middle School student adviser groups participate in community service projects at the Chattanooga Area Food Bank throughout the year.
- Our outdoor program (Walkabout) began in 1975 and is highly regarded nationwide.
- On the annual Freshman Trip guides the entire class through two days and nights of outdoor activities and the opportunity to relax together.
- Leadership Baylor offers off-campus experiential days for the sophomore and junior classes.
- Seniors spend the last six days of their Baylor careers on a wilderness adventure instead of taking final exams. When the trip began in the early 1970s it was radical (it still is).
- Students in Form and Function class are introduced to woodworking by contracting building projects for the Baylor community.
- Students in advanced acting classes practice "One-Acts" in the quad -- a series of self-directed plays that are eventually presented in the Roddy Theatre.
For more information about travel opportunities at Baylor, click here.